Raul Rosas Jr., a young prospect, lost to Christian Rodriguez at UFC 287, ending his unbeaten record.
Rosas, 18, impressed Dana White on the Contender Series in September and was then signed by the UFC in September of last year. After choking out Jay Perrin a few months later, the high school student went on to become the UFC's youngest fighter to win.
By the beginning of the third round, Rosas was having trouble handling Rodriguez's physicality as the rookie fighter was being outmatched. Rosas' takedown attempts were being easily defended by Rodriguez, who then punished him by shifting positions on the ground.
The 18-year-old appeared defeated in the closing seconds of the battle, and Rodriguez came dangerously near to securing a rear-naked choke. Rosas, however, managed to escape, and after the final horn, all three judges awarded Rodriguez the victory with scores of 29-28.
The loss of Raul Rosas has led to some reactions. The most notable one came from Sean Strickland who said that people should not sign kids to fight men.
“Raul Rosas Jr about to get the Sage Northcut treatment.. This is why you don't sign kids to fight men.” Sean Strickland tweeted.
“Remember when Raul Rosas Jr said he would finish Aljamain Sterling…,” Spinning backfist tweeted.
Micheal Bisping, meanwhile, lauded the effort.
“Incredible effort by an 18 year old Raul Rosas Jr. Imagine being 18 and being on that stage. Lessons learned ad he’ll be back better next time,” the former UFC Champion tweeted.
“Ego check for sure. Very young and can really grow and come back way Better from this experience,” Chris Weidman Tweeted.
What do you think about the loss of Raul Rosas? Let us know in the comments below.
Raul Rosas Jr about to get the Sage Northcut treatment.. This is why you don't sign kids to fight men.#UFC287— Sean Strickland (@SStricklandMMA) April 9, 2023